8 Tips to help you pick the best planters for your balcony
Who doesn’t love to make their home look fresh and airy. In fact we try our best to decorate and present it in a manner which would look impressive to everyone who visits us. Adding some greenery is one of the best things you can do make your home interiors look fresh. A garden completes a house, providing a sense of serenity and completeness to the complex haven called home.
But, if you are living in an apartment it might be difficult for you to make a good garden in your house. While it’s always good to have a strip of land around your house which you can turn into a cosy garden, you can also make do with any small space around your house. This is especially true for people living in high rises, urban apartments and flats.
You can always place balcony planters, which give your house a green look and do not occupy much space either. Interested in knowing more? Here we tell you 8 tips that would help you in selecting the best outdoor furniture for your dream home.
1) Location- It is very important for you to analyse where you will place the planter boxes. Do you want it just to enhance the beauty quotient of your balcony? Or is it that you are looking for a functionality that the outdoor planter should give you. Maybe you just want to cover the balcony railings so that the privacy of your home is maintained? Basically, when you get about purchasing planters online, you need to understand the purpose and pick up the best ones accordingly. So, think and visualise where and how these planters will be placed before making your final decision.
2) Personal style – The next question you really need to ask is what is your personal style? As in, how have you decorated your house and its interiors? Is the décor of your house traditional? Or have you gone beyond the regular and designed your house in contemporary style. If you are picking large outdoor planters for your house, you must realize that they do not look out of the place. Their presence should synchronise with the other decorative items that you have placed in your house and then only the entire look would come out beautifully.
3) Size matters- It is important for you to consider what size of garden planters you would be needing. If your balcony is not big enough then having too many of small planters like, ceramic planters may just make the entire place look cluttered. Also if you are wanting to buy large planters, then see that it resonates with the other things placed in the balcony. You can also pick up medium size planters and place them together in groups of three. Another way could be buying hanging planters online. These would not only consume less space but would make your balcony look airy and fresh.
4) Compose the setup- In case if you decide on buying a combination of pots and planters, then you would have to decide how to put them together creatively. You can pick up three different sized planters and that too in separate textures and colours. This arrangement of garden planters will look more aesthetic and in this way, you can create a stunning look in your balcony. You can pick up modern planters in fiberglass, Turkish or Moroccan Oil jar styles and that would be just enough to make the look complete.
5) Colour combinations- Selecting the right colour combination in planters is very important. The colours that you choose should not be extremely bright as that makes the entire appearance very jarring. It is better to opt for a combination of soft tone colours. You can select large garden planters in colours like dark chocolate, buttermilk and white, or even go for wooden garden planters. These are pleasing colours and chances are that, they would match well with the décor of your room too. When you look for planters for sale online, you can easily mix and match colour choices, which you think would go well with the theme of your interiors or wall colour.
6) Different materials- Planters of different materials can be bought online. Terracotta rectangular planter never loses its shine and is an all time favourite. Apart from that, they are available in subtle colours and they grant a traditional feel especially if you place them indoors. There are plastic planters, brass planters, metal planters and concrete planters available online.
7) Potting mix- Any plants grows well if you use the best potting mix and place it in a manner that the drainage is best. You can buy railing planters to ensure that the same happens. Apart from that you can also place 10 mm thick compressed rubber to give your planters a good elevation. It not only improves the growth of your plant, but also creates an interesting shadow line at the base.
8) Box planters-
Instead of too many pots placed on your balcony floor, window box planters are a great way to increase the beauty quotient of your balcony or windows. Window boxes are available in different sizes and shapes. Make sure you blend the box with the overall theme of the house. Boxes in wood, terracotta, plastic, or even concrete are available. For example, if you have an ethnic theme for your interiors, having a simple wooden box is compliments to it.
One way to grant the green feel to your abode is to buy planter boxes for your interiors and balcony. However, be sure to keep the following points in mind before selecting the best planters. There are many cheap planters available in the market, but it is always good to invest a good amount to buy a good product. Before selecting, you can also consult your friends who already have the same done. Other important thing is that plants placed planters need good content of moisture in the soil for them to grow. Make sure to check for dryness of soil in planters.